she is sitting on the sofa



She is sitting on the sofa, sewing. She says,

This is the quilt I'm making. She's really small, and it's going to end up too big, but I want her to be able to look down and see that there are jungles full of snakes and monkeys, and behind them, down these white roads, there are doggies, and strawberry patches, and beyond them there are rainbows. I want it to be the kind of thing she can fold and put away, and pass on to her children.

A little later, she said,

I make the patches on the bus, on the way to work. Before I met you, I'd got out of the habit.



b

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He said, "I'm going to sleep and I don't want to be disturbed."

She said, "But you are already disturbed."

He said, "Yeah. I know. But just the same I don't want any sugar in my coffee when I wake."

martin marriott said...

I think the lazerus to go to bed should turn the hallway light off

martin marriott said...

actually, this is one of the most beautiful things I never wrote.

Facebook Badge